Friday, March 9, 2012

the sweetness experiment: special treats | week 1


I told you I was a little afraid to look at my "be" character goals after last month, didn't I?

I checked on March last week, and was relieved to see God had a perfect plan lined up for this month too. :)

This month's character project is to be sweet. {phew!}

Last month, He gave me a new perspective on motherhood, and it made me enjoy being a mom all over again. And this month I get to practice loving my kiddos. How perfect is that?

So my "be" goal is to specifically act with sweetness for the next few weeks. I was thinking about what that really means, and I'm defining sweetness this way:

to be sweet = to be intentionally good for the benefit of another

For me, that translates into intentionally doing something special and out of the ordinary for my family for the month of March.

So what does this have to do with {food on friday}?


One of the biggest ways our little family shows love is with food.

{I can hear psychologists everywhere groaning!}

But really, at 2, 4, 6, and 8, we don't go crazy with material gifts or expensive activities. My children seem to mostly need love, affection, and lots of food! :)

I don't think it's a bad thing to give food as a gift- if you look at many of the scenarios of the Bible, the Lord blesses His people with food! Food is one of our most basic needs, and it's a gift to be enjoyed.

The first miracle: water into wine for the bridegroom. Later Jesus fed the multitudes, and He even used an example about good gifts centered around children asking and receiving food {how does the Bible know they do that? ha!}:
Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? 11 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him! Matthew 8:9-11
So the little sweetness project began with treating the children with special food. :) Last weekend on our way to the flea market, we told them that we were going to go to one of their very favorite places for lunch: Pizza Inn.

Their reaction to special treats like that is always priceless- I so wish I had them on camera! They cheer, they hug, they jump! I'm going to miss these days when they grow up.

I snapped a few pics of them digging in at the all-you-can-eat pizza place. They were so excited to get to pick out what they want to eat and have as much as they wanted of it {apparently that is a treat in a large family! ha!}

I totally just laughed at the pics because I realized none of them actually chose pizza...






And I couldn't resist snapping a picture for you of my all-time favorite dessert- cinnamon stromboli. I think this is what manna must have tasted like:


And speaking of sweet, my husband is seriously the best example of sweetness I've ever met. He spotted this sign on the same trip and turned right around because he knows what I love. :)


He looked at me and grinned, asked me if I wanted some, and then got out and bought me an entire basket full of sweet potatoes. I so love that man.

Does your family speak the food love language too? :)


sweetness project week one: food
next week:  special activities



follow {bh}
:: 
subscribe by email :: follow by rss feed :: follow on facebook :: follow on twitter ::

No comments:

Post a Comment