Thursday, May 16, 2013

4 ways to score free furniture and household goods

We randomly scored the best deal on this set of end tables this week- they were free! 


I can't wait to redo them- I'm not sure what I will do with them yet, but painting them is definitely the plan. :D Corals and emerald greens have been on my mind lately, so I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up one of those with some new knobs. ;)

And hey, free + the cost of spray paint and a knob is even better than the GW price would be, don't you think? Free is the best. :)

Here are 4 ways I like to find free stuff:

1. Facebook.
I joined several local swap/ sale groups where people post a lot like Craiglist, but without the anonymity. This is how I found out about the tables- a lady posted come and get them, and I happened to be close by and was the first one there! :D {One group I joined is called East Texas Baby Items for Sale, the others I follow are also similar local sale groups like the County Garage Sale, East Texas Swap and Shop, etc.} If you don't follow any of these or have never seen them- ask your friends if they know any in a status update on Facebook. While most items are for sale, occasionally you'll see free stuff too.

2. The side of the road/give aways.
So many renters just throw out good stuff because they don't want to move it! I've scored a great daybed with screws attached in a bag, purses, household items, and even a wallet with change still in it! We've also been given a free like-new steam cleaner from someone throwing it away, and other people I know have scored lawn furniture, end tables, lamps, room dividers, and more.

 We live in the city, so lots of times, people leave signs out on their stuff that say "free"! They just want you to take it. :D One time I picked up a baby swing in perfect condition by the trash can, put new batteries in it, used it for a while, and then sold it on Craigslist. :) 

3. Craigslist.
There's a free category on Craigslist, and this is one of the easiest places to find free stuff. You may have to drive to get it, but I've scored lots of furniture, a swing set, and house stuff on there too. My dad sends me free piano listings every now and then {I would LOVE a free one!}, but they're always gone by the time I email them! :)

4. Freecycle.

I've gotten a vintage camera with lenses, brand new cloth napkins, and so many other things I can't remember a few years ago. :) People post and just want you to come and get their old stuff, and it's awesome. And completely free. You have to be fast and watch it closely to be the one who gets the items though. :) It's been a while since I used this method!


Where are your favorite places to score free stuff?? Any good ideas for me?

What's the best free item you've ever randomly scored?

How do you feel about using what others consider trash? I see a lot of treasure in other's trash! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment