Wednesday, September 11, 2013

on homeschooling again: strong curriculum, weak mama

I mentioned Monday we are starting a new curriculum for this year- we decided to go with the Bob Jones University Distance Learning program. We went with the full curriculum for our 3rd and 4th graders, and we went with the Phonics DVD package for our 1st grader, and we are going to supplement hers with Horizons math and individual workbooks for Bible and Science. :)

If unpacking the boxes was any indication of what is to come, it will be a bit... overwhelming. :)


You really seem to get what you pay for though {the video program was $850 per child}- each of the boys have a ton of textbooks, supplemental materials, reviews, and tests.

Here's a glimpse of 4th grade work:


Each set came with a hard drive that contains a full year of video lessons. The lessons are taught by teachers, but the format is so much different from a traditional classroom. Each lesson seems closer to a really informative PBS show, and all of my kids watched all of the 4th grade previews we showed them without any prodding. They wanted to watch them, and that was a good sign! :D


The reviews for their DL program were really, really good, which was so helpful to us since we don't know anyone who has used this program before. The textbooks are all colorful paperbacks- they seem to be very interesting to look at too!

Here's the 3rd grade textbooks:


We also got all of the books that we'll need through the year for literature:


And Bella's phonics, handwriting, and reading look very thorough as well. She will also watch a lesson each day on a DVD. They were again, very highly reviewed, so I'm excited to see how her reading improves in the 1st grade.


And that my friends, is a stack of tests and answer keys on the right there. Phew. ;)


But my favorite part, other than the video lesson, is this:


Each day is already planned out for you in one place- what worksheets they need, how long the lessons are, and what's required of me to do. This is so helpful, because I've never been a teacher/organized kind of person. It hurts me to think about sitting down and lesson planning every subject for a year for 3 children. ;)


I'm more of the I'm excited to buy school supplies and oh, let's do coordinating pencils and scissors kind of girl. :)


But here we are. Honestly, I'm kind of feeling that dreadful feeling you get right before you go to the dentist, where you know you just have to push through it, because you know it's necessary and it's all going to be worth it in the end. Homeschooling is just not easy or natural for me. But that's okay. It doesn't have to be. 

schoolwork sorted and ready to go
I can do it, because the Lord has led us here this year, even though full-time homeschooling wasn't in our original plan. And this is where we're supposed to be for now.

I know if he calls me to do it, I can do it through Him. No matter how much I'm not a teacher, or how disorganized I am, or how impatient I am, or how I'm just not good at this.

No matter how imperfect I am, He says to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”

Can you believe it? His power is made perfect in my weakness. Not in how good I am at this.

enjoying our traditonal last day of summer breakfast!
That's just like our Father though, isn't it? Shining His glory, showing His strength in what seems impossible to man.

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”

It's a promise I'm clinging to this year like a mad woman.

Here's to a new season of weakness. 


Do you feel like homeschooling is a weakness for you? What has helped you through?


What's your best advice for newer homeschoolers?


Any tips for using the BJU curriculum? I'd love your thoughts!


No comments:

Post a Comment