Friday, November 1, 2013

colorful gallery wall {on a budget}

It might have taken me forever to finally get to {3 years +}, but I'm so happy with how our hallway gallery wall turned out! I hate spending money on art and frames, so it took me a while to find or make enough wall items at a good price. :)


I've been very bad about printing out pictures since digital cameras came along, so some of our pictures are fairly old. I figured it's kind of fun to see what we all used to look like- plus, they were already in the frames. ;) We walk through here constantly {this wall is right by the stairs in the center of our home}, so I really enjoy seeing all of the old pictures, and I can see all of the names of God from our living room!


Here are all the details:

1. IKEA $1.99 frames- my bridal portrait and a $1 IKEA floral print that was made to go in it! :D I love it when they make it easy and cheap for you!

{Here's another art set they have now for $1 each- isn't it pretty! For $3 each you'd have 5 adorable teacher gifts!}


2. Homemade digital art in a coral painted Walmart frame. I designed our names in an 8x10 print in the living room colors and I love how it turned out! It was just $4 + a little paint + a little time!

3. Butterfly prints from HomeGoods. I bought these canvases for $12.99 each almost 3 years ago- they were in our original living room reveal, but since I've changed things around in there a bit, they got moved to the gallery wall.

If I change things around in another room, I usually try to use the leftover items somewhere else in the house instead of selling them. This is when it comes in handy to pick things in colors you love, as well as have paint colors that flow and coordinate throughout your house so you don't have to spend money to get a new look! :D I have lots of grays, greens, yellows, and blues in my house which make me happy!

4. This was another DIY- just old dictionary pages on a used Goodwill super-cheap canvas. I just glued these right on top of an old ugly canvas that was less than $2. :)

5. Our little Isabella Rose, 5 months old in a $5 Walmart frame.

6. This hook was birthday present from my husband from Anthropologie a couple of years ago- still, one of the priciest things at $14- back when it was harder to find initial items. :)

7. Homemade gilded DIY art on another Goodwill canvas just like this one! {less than $6 total!}

8. The different names of God on a huge canvas from Hobby Lobby that was on clearance for $19. I love this piece! :D It makes me happy. This was the most expensive, and the only new thing I bought for this wall. :)

9. This 8x10 free Scripture art I made in another $4 painted coral frame. I had this left over from a test print.

The other two frames I didn't mention are ones we've had for 10 years now. The color picture on the left is Rob and I on our honeymoon {at 19 and 22!}, and the antique one is a pic of us on our first big trip 10 years ago to Maryland.

And we just painted the hallway color earlier this year- it's called Quietude by Sherwin Williams. I like the green/blue/gray it gives off in an area with little natural light.

I'm happy with how it all turned out! It took me a while to put it all together, but the hardest part by far was hanging it up! ;)


What do you think? Do you like to mix art and pictures too? 
I have an all black and white picture one here, and I love it too! It would be hard to choose!

No comments:

Post a Comment