Friday, January 31, 2014

thrifty huge mirror transformation {with annie sloan paint!!}

Have you ever walked into a thrift store, had something from across the room immediately catch your eye, and it took every fiber of your being to restrain yourself from sprinting to it? :P

That's what happened when I saw this mirror. :)


Since we are trying to pay off our house this year, I haven't bought much in the way of decor in the last few months, but I knew this was one item that was worth the $19.99 price tag! :)

I knew what I would do with it as soon as I got home: paint it bright turquoise green! :) {you know me... I have a history of painting thrift store mirrors aqua, heheh.}


I used Annie Sloan's chalk paint in "florence"{pricey, but goes soooo far!} to transform it in one coat:


I didn't need any primer thanks to the consistency of chalk paint, and I haven't waxed it or distressed it yet because I can't decide if I want to. :) I liked the chalk paint because it is very vibrant and coated well, but I think you could totally get a similar effect with regular paint and more coats. 


I'm estimating that I used about $5-$6 worth of paint, which means I got a huge funky turquoise green mirror for less than $30! I think it would have run between $75-$150 at Hobby Lobby or Home Goods. 

Saving that kind of money makes for an exciting day around here. :)


Thrift store shopping is like treasure hunting, I tell you. :) You never know what you'll find!


Have you ever used Annie Sloan's chalk paint? Verdict?

Don't you love cheap mirrors too?
One of my first Valentine's presents as a married girl was this mirror for $100 at Hobby Lobby. I think it may be one of the few mirrors we've paid full price for {along with this one}.

No comments:

Post a Comment