Monday, April 16, 2012

the 10-10 challenge


Lately I've noticed that I'm starting to lose my attention span. I want to focus on my kiddos, but I feel like my brain is pulled in 3 different directions all.the.time.

While I'm writing an email, I'm being asked a phonics question, and while I'm answering the question all I can see is how I missed sweeping by the trash can. Do you ever feel like that too?

Sometimes I can barely even remember what I did all week, even though I was constantly busy. Then I stop and look into the eyes of my sweet children as I kiss them goodnight, and think, "why am I not being more intentional in focusing on them?"


I don't want to miss the forest for the trees. I'm so focused on little tasks all the time that I'm forgetting to enjoy the bigger picture. My oldest boy is 8 1/2 years old. He's half way through his childhood. 

Where has it gone? Seriously?

And why am I not enjoying it as much as I should be? 

Probably because I'm distracted constantly. Cleaning, internet, food prep, choreography, emails, laundry... and it goes on and on. I'm way too busy to enjoy their silliness.

So I'm going to try a little experiment this week to see if I can be more intentional. Less distracted.

The internet is going off from 10-10 this week. That's when my children need me the most. They get ready in the morning on their own, and get their own breakfast for the most part, so that's why I'm starting at 10- that's when we start school. They go to bed around 10 every night, too. 

I'm giving myself one 15 minute check-in after lunch when the kids are outside to answer emails and check Facebook and Twitter. It's going to be a challenge, since I usually have the computer on in the kitchen and pop in and out all day.

But it's going to be a good one for me {and you know I love a challenge!}: we have a busy week ahead: we're planning on having friends over for dinner, going to the library, and maybe even walking/biking the trails this week.

I want to be intentional with my children. I want to get to Saturday, and think, I've really enjoyed being with them. I've put them before emails, sweeping, and laundry, and Facebook. 

It's sad that I've gotten so far off-track. My attention span needs a good retraining. 

I love them so much. I want them to know they are first, not everything else. 

I'm planning to post as usual, but if I miss my daily deadline, you'll know why. :) 


edit: sweet friends, if you are looking for more resources on time management and self-discipline, you'll love my friend Courtney's 5 Disciplines series: Body, Mind, and Spirit! Go check it out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment