Friday, May 4, 2012

original food diet: 5 weeks later

34 days down, only 6 to go!

Isn't that crazy?

I feel like it was just yesterday that we started eating only real food.

Now, eating vegetables, fruits, grains, and nuts has actually become the way we eat.



I'm so thrilled that our eating habits have changed so quickly! I never knew I could live without dairy, and eggs, and chicken, and high fructose corn syrup {ha! :D}.

I've enjoyed the diet, but for me, I think the key to sticking to it has been the long timeframe and the public accountability. After two weeks of pushing through, real food has become what I love to eat, and processed foods sound gross to me now.

When we started, it felt like it would be 40 days of misery, kind of like juicing or fasting, but I've stopped counting days because I love it and it's just how I eat.

I feel like it's been so much better for my body- I have a steady flow of energy, I eat more than enough food, so I'm never hungry, and I can even eat sweet things like pumpkin sauce and maple syrup on my oatmeal. {pumpkin sauce recipe should be up this weekend!}

I've lost 3 lbs. {maybe}, but I haven't really seemed to lose strength, so it was mostly excess as far as I can tell. I wasn't really going for weight loss or numbers, so I'm more than happy with losing 3 lbs.

I was hoping to see how the diet would change my body, and I honestly believe that eating real food only changes your body in such a way that you lose what you don't need, you can eat as much as you like, and still feel full.

I eat nuts and avocados, and maple syrup, and rice- things I've avoided all these years because of their fat and calories, and yet I've been steadily losing weight. That is seriously amazing to me!!

Diets where you have to restrict everything are for the birds. :P

My husband has lost 12 pounds in 34 days, and he was lean to start with. He's never really hungry either. In fact, I might have to start making him eat more often just to keep some weight on his bones. :)

I'm thrilled with the results that all the people in my life are getting with the diet too. My dad is diabetic and has started the diet, and in only 11 days he says he feels better already and his joint aches are gone.

He's working on trying to reduce his insulin need, and it's really early to say, but I think he might be doing it. He's also eating mostly raw foods too, so that's been helping his blood sugar levels slowly come down. I can't wait to see what happens!

Our friends that are on it have lost a ton of weight too, and agree that they have been able to keep a much more steady flow of energy. :D

We have started eating mostly beans, potatoes and rice in different forms. It's actually simplified our eating. I make a crockpot full of beans, and a rice cooker full of rice, and we eat that for two or three meals.

We eat beans and rice straight up the first night, then the second day, we add the beans to a salad, or I'll make an easy sushi roll with the rice, and then for the third meal, I'll use the leftovers to make a veggie chili.

It's been such a change for our family, for sure. We all eat the same things now, so the kids are eating beans and veggies and fruit for dinner like we are. We've switched to almond milk exclusively and I haven't bought chips in weeks.

It's crazy exciting. :)

Tonight, though, I have quite a food dilemma. It's Noah's 7th birthday, and he's requested cinnamon rolls instead of birthday cake.

I can make a mean cinnamon roll. And oh, sweet baked goods, how I love them.

But I'm afraid of eating one. I ate two tiny bites of gelato with only fruit and sugar {no dairy} a couple of weeks ago at the whole foods store and I had a headache for 30 minutes.

What in the world will a cinnamon roll do? I'm scared to try it!

And not to mention, I haven't eaten a piece of bread in 34 days. I so don't want to break that record...

But I kind of think Noah will remember if I don't eat one. So I feel like I should.

I'm pretty sure I will have to try a little.

I realize I'm officially a goofball. I have reverse diet anxiety. 

You can laugh now. I don't blame you. :)


High class problems, no?

Life is good.

I think I'm going to eat a cinnamon roll. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment