Thursday, May 10, 2012

recipe: quick and easy veggie chili


This has become one of my favorite recipes on the original food diet
{can you believe it's the last official day?! I'm going to give a full report tomorrow! :D}

My husband loves McAlister's veggie chili, and for some reason it took me weeks to think of making a version at home. It's fast, easy, and super cheap. We love it! 

I thought it was definitely appropriate for a thrifty thursday post. :) We made it this week as you can see on our meal plan, and I think it's going to be a weekly menu item from now on.

It can be as easy as you'd like to make it. If you'd rather mince onion and garlic fresh, and use fresh tomatoes, even better! I like using the dried and canned versions at my house for easier meals. :)

Here's what you'll need:
5 cups of cooked pinto beans {can be canned- 3 15 oz. cans}
1 29 oz. can diced tomatoes {fresh is better}
1 29 oz. can tomato puree
3 tbs. onion, minced
3 tbs. garlic, minced
3 tbs. chili powder
1-2 tbs. of salt {to taste- I like 2 tbs.}
1 tbs. oregano
dash of cayenne {optional}



Stir all ingredients together {undrained} in a saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes, then simmer on low for at least 15 minutes. 


The longer the simmer, the better the flavor!

You could also let it simmer on low in the crockpot for several hours for an even easier meal.

So filling, and so delicious.


Easy, frugal, and yummy. The best of all worlds! :)

What's your favorite go-to easy recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment