Thursday, August 9, 2012

thrifty thursday: easy chair transformation

The Goodwill people probably think I'm crazy.

I am a little crazy. I'll give them that. ;) I so love finding a good deal!

And when I saw this baby hanging out in the midst of dirty 80's floral sofas and broken mdf TV stands, it was like spotting a blinding diamond among the coal:


The chair was in perfect condition, except for the plaid seat cover.

I had to stop myself from running to see how much it was. 

After what felt like an eternity, I finally hurdle jumped made my way past the floral sofa and found the price tag.

It was $7.99.

This is where the other part of the crazy comes in- when I find a good deal, I can hardly keep that goofy smirk off my face. I grin all the way to the register.

It's ridiculous. And so.much.fun.

I couldn't wait to recover it. But I just couldn't find the right fabric to go with the wood tone. It was far too perfect and pretty to paint too. :)

I didn't want to spend more money on fabric really, either, so it took me a few months to figure out that I had something I could use on the seat after all:


I had these old pillows that I was recovering for another project, and so I ripped off the covers and bleached them, and they came out perfectly!


I cut out one side, and pulled the cushion off to recover:


To protect the fabric from returning to it's previous nasty pillowcase look, I added a $1 per yard layer of clear vinyl. It's a must for mamas of littles who like white things!


Staple, staple, staple, and voila! 


She fits in with the rest of the house! Right now she's hanging in the living room right by the armoire.

For $9 total, I think I'll keep her! For now, anyway. ;) 

Isn't GW the best? :D


So tell me, where do you find your favorite furniture bargains? Do you score furniture at thrift stores too? Or is Craigslist more your thing? 

No comments:

Post a Comment