Friday, September 21, 2012

smashing the idol of the scale

This morning I had a very happy post planned about birthday parties, and I prayed God would give me the right things to say about how to throw a birthday party on a budget. Mmmhmmm.

{You can laugh. I understand. :)}

But it turns out He didn't want me to write about that at all. Instead He told me to share something that I don't want to. {again.}

He never ceases to do things that surprise my feeble little human mind.

Back in early August we had all kinds of parties and things to go to. I eat really well at home, but if I'm at a party or a dinner out with my husband, my rule is to eat and enjoy. And I do.

After a few parties and events, ahem, :) I gained a couple lbs.

I expected it. But you know what?

Every morning I weighed myself, and it made me upset.

Really, though, who really cares about 2 or 3 lbs.?

I did.

And I let it get to me.

My morning weight often affected my emotions for the rest of the day.

But one morning was different. I stepped on the scale as usual, scoffed at the number that wouldn't budge no matter what I did, and as I was getting ready for the day, God whispered this to me:

Cast down your idol.

Throw away your scale. 

A number on a plastic box doesn't deserve your emotions, your attention, your heart.

It hit me like a ton of bricks.

In the name of self-discipline, I've spent years entrapped by a number on a plastic box.

I have spent years bowing down to my scale with my emotions.

I let a number that tells me the effect gravitational force has on my body affect my soul.

Does that sound ridiculous to you too?

My heart started beating like crazy as I imagined a world free of even knowing what I weighed.

Before I could shove the idea away, the Spirit helped me and I told my husband, "I think I'm going to throw away my scale."

I told him how much I let it affect me {as if he didn't know...}. He told me he thought it was a good idea.

When I came home from the gym later that week, the scale was gone.

For the last month {and the first time in years}, I don't know what I weigh.

It was only one little idol, but it had a big part of my life.

Throwing out the scale was like cutting off my hand.

I know it had become an idol in my heart.

I know Satan had a stronghold in my life because of it.

I sometimes still want to go get one and forget I ever took it out.

That's how ingrained weighing myself was in my life.

But God was gracious to me and let me see what it was doing to me.

I don't like sharing about it, honestly. It's too personal, too close to home. I like to keep my heart to myself, especially when it gets uncomfortable. It was an idol I closely protected.

But God is so much bigger than me. He knows what I can pretend is a good habit can be an addiction in my heart.

What the world sees as self-discipline can be dangerous to my soul.

Matthew 5:29-30
 29If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell. 30And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.

I can be healthy, I can lose weight or gain weight, and I don't need a number to tell me that's happening.

I just want to encourage you, if you're struggling with this weight thing, don't let it become a stronghold in your life. It's not the weight that's important. It's the state of our hearts.

Satan offers us the apple just like he did with Eve- it looks good to the eyes on the outside, but God knows what's behind it.

If there is something like a scale in your life- something that seems good on the outside, but controls or affects the way you feel in a way that is not pleasing to God, cut it off.

If Pinterest makes you lust after a life you don't and can't have, cut it off.

If Facebook brings jealousy to your heart, cut it off.

If Twitter makes you long to be part of a clique that you're not, cut it off.

If you're a blogger and your stats control the way you feel every day, cut them off. Block that page from your browser if you have to.

If you see someone who is prettier, or thinner, or better dressed than you, and you feel envy, stop looking. Take those thoughts into captivity.

It is better that we lose social media and gain a few pounds than lose our souls.

Who is our god?

Does the one true God have all of our heart? What are we keeping back from Him?

For me, it was my physical body. I wanted to control what I looked like.

And He's still working on me. All.the.time.

Walking with God is both the hardest and the easiest thing I've ever done.

Getting rid of a scale was really hard for me. It would have been impossible two years ago. But God is so good, that He made it so easy. I wanted to do it.

Because where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 

The chains of sin are broken.

We don't have to stay in them.

We can be free in Christ.

We can share our weaknesses, because He is God, and we are so desperate- so broken and in need of a Savior.

What are your strongholds? What are your idols? Give God all of you, and I know He will take them out. He will smash them under His feet.

We praise you God, for redeeming our hearts, and rescuing us from the chains of sin. Thank you Lord, that we can boast in our weaknesses because in them you are strong. We can trust in you!

I would love to pray for you if you have something in your life that you know God wants you to cut off. He can do it sweet friends. He WILL do it if we ask!!! email me at mandy@ biblical homemaking .com.

If you have something you're struggling with, chances are someone else is going through the same thing.

If you are struggling, or God has done something in you, please feel free to share in the comments- praise Jesus, we have a community of sisters in Christ here that can rejoice and pray for each other! Living in Christ is a beautiful thing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment