Tuesday, January 29, 2013

a carrot fight, joyful mothering, + a january update

little Bella, 5. She's such a happy little girl, and a great blessing to us.

Happy Tuesday, sweet friends! Isn't it a wonderful day to be alive? What is God's purpose for your life today? Do you have a prayer you woke up with this morning? 

Mine is to be a joyful mother.

I woke up with that same prayer yesterday, and sadly, it wasn't my best day of being joyful. It was like Satan knew my intentions, and tried everything to get me upset. Like when I found out the kids had a carrot war {organic, baby carrot!!! war} in the living room yesterday. {um, #1, food's not allowed in the living room, #2 those things aren't cheap and now they're wasted, #3, they threw them at each other....oh brother.} Not a happy mama. I'll laugh someday, I know, but yesterday sure wasn't the day. :P 

Maybe joyful is as joyful does?

Never mind that- Jesus, please help me! I'm outnumbered 4 to 1! Y'all, please pray for me. :P

After yesterday, I'm really thankful I'm getting a little break this morning while they're at school. :) I'll hopefully be working on the rest of this month's goals, and catching up on laundry again, along with maybe lunch with the husband! wohoo! :) I'd also really like to be more happy and less distracted tomorrow when I pick them up from school. I so want them to remember me as a happy mama.

Speaking of goals, here's an update on this month:

do:
  1. 40 bags- I'm challenging myself to find 40 bags of excess to purge from our house. - 32 BIG bags done, 8 more to go!!
  2. Take down 10 picture frames that aren't hanging on the wall. - done! I love the empty shelves and surfaces. I put them all in a box in case I change my mind later. ;)
  3. Rearrange living room and sewing room furniture to better use our spaces. - haven't done this yet. Hoping to this week.
  4. Take down Christmas decorations. {It's only January 4, right? ;)}- done, thanks to the family! 
  5. Donate extra bedding we no longer need. - still haven't gone in the attic. dum, dum, dum....
    a physical detox:

  1. Eat real foods- avoiding all processed foods if possible. I've been doing this for the last week, and it's not been fun so far. But I feel better already! - semi-good at this. I've been snacking on Frosted Mini Wheats and grabbing bites of cheese. Hum. And I've had a couple turkey sandwiches and bread. And a handful or two of skittles. hahah! Trying not to obsess about it, but I am happy to be eating more veggies again. ;)
  2.  Exercise at least 8 hours per week. {I'm using this free fitness log! hey!} - done plus some!
  3.  Drink at least 64 ounces of water each day. - most days!
    a spiritual detox:

  1. Journal 1-2x per week in quiet time using Evernote. {I will easily type it out but I know I'll never do it if I'm supposed to hand write it. Typing is so much faster. ha!} - started this! 
  2.  Wake up before kids and read alone in quiet at least 5 days per week {this has been so hard to do this winter}. Check off each day completed in my calendar for motivation. - failing miserably. They keep getting up before me. I've gotten maybe 2-3 days a week before they get up. This might help the joyful mama thing.
read:
  1. Soul Detox: Clean Living in a Contaminated World by Craig Groeschel*- done. I really, really liked this book. The author is a no-nonsense kind of guy, and tells you things you know are true but no one says. :) I was surprised by how much I liked it!
learn:

  1. Psalm 51:7-13: Getting close! :D
be:
My "be" goal this month was to be repentant. 

And oh, how I've seen God working on repentance in my heart this month. I wish I could say I am amazing at spotting my own sin right away, but I'm so not. Sin rises in me quickly, and I can justify it for a while in the heat, until I get alone and God convicts me. :(

But I'm glad He is convicting me, because that means He wants to discipline me and not leave me in my sin. I wish it wasn't there in the first place, but really, it shows me I need Him all the more. It makes me feel like I'm a big hypocrite, because I know the truth and still can't seem to get it right. But then God gives me such grace, and reminds me His love doesn't depend on how well I am doing. {thank you, Jesus!}. It's been rough, but God has been good. 

He convicts me time after time, and my heart turns and seeks forgiveness and restoration with Him. And He is always so good to forgive me. I'm just constantly amazed by this.

:: What are you tackling today?

:: Are you detoxing this month too? If so, how are you doing so far? {probably better than skittle binging, I would imagine! hehee ;)}

:: What helps you stay joyful with your children? 
me: remembering how little time I have with them gives me more perspective, and more joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment