Thursday, September 6, 2012

easy $2 vintage monogram canvas

I love monograms- I just can't get enough of them! I think they are timeless and make your decor just a little more personal. :D

So when we had a shower for my friend Abbie, I knew I wanted to make something vintagey and monogrammed for her girls' room that could also be part of her shower table:


Now I have zero painting ability. It's most definitely a skill, and all of you that have it are blessed, my friends. I bet you can probably dance too. Lucky ducks. :D

Thankfully this project is fairly simple to do, so even if you aren't the perfect painter, it's okay- your imperfections might just add to the vintage look. Or at least I'm hoping that's what mine did! :)

Either way, it only takes about $2 and 45 minutes to make a unique metallic monogram canvas. :D

Here's what you'll need:


supplies:

two shimmery craft paints {$1-$2 each at Wal-Mart in the craft section}

one 8x10 canvas panel {about $3.50 for 3 at Wal-Mart}

painting tools: small paint brush and paper plate

printed monogram from your computer

pencil

Here's what you do:

1. Paint your canvas with your base color. 


You'll want to paint across the canvas horizontally to get a uniform brush-stroked look. 

2. Prep your initials.


I used my document program {like Word} to make my initial. I like the Adobe Garamond font and most traditional fonts, but you can use any font you like- just enlarge your letter to take up most of your 8.5x11 sheet. And make sure it's centered. :D 

I used Emily's trick of coloring the back of the letters on the blank side with pencil to trace over:


Don't do the front side. It won't work. {It was late. ha!}

3. Overlay your sheet on your canvas and trace the letter right side up.


Here's what you'll have left underneath:


4. Paint your letters with your second color.


Mine weren't perfect by any means, but I was hoping they looked sort of vintage. :D

If you have a tiny brush and a steady hand, you can cover all of the pencil marks after you fill in the inside of the initial. Add a frame or a stand if you want, and you're done!

Here's what they looked like finished on the buffet:


And they made the perfect backdrop for the food. {Who am I kidding... I don't think anyone noticed them, actually. There was food! :)}


And there you have it: a super easy personalized monogram for only a couple of bucks!



 I need to make one for our house now! Are you in love with monograms too? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment