Thursday, October 25, 2012

thrifty thursday GW find: a cast iron dutch oven

{I’m blogging from Allume today- I’m thrilled to be here {and safely, no less!}, and so far it’s been so much fun. I left at 4:45 this morning and made it to Harrisburg, PA, at 12:50, so it’s already been quite a day! ;) I can’t wait to share all the details and introduce you to my roomies!}.

So it’s no secret that I love GW {Goodwill}. I also love kitchen tools of all kinds, and when the two collide, it’s always a happy, happy day. :D And, indeed, it was a very happy day when I found this gloriously blue Dutch oven at Goodwill, brand new in the box:

This is crazy, but I never thought I would be so happy with a pot! ;) When I made lasagna for my husband’s birthday dinner this week I sautéed onions in it, added the turkey to brown, and then added the sauce and simmered it for a few hours. We had leftover lasagna noodles and sauce, so I added the leftover noodles and cheese to the pan, and baked it like a casserole in the oven! It was so easy!

And if I’m studying my Dutch ovens correctly, a Le Creuset Dutch oven runs around $145 on Amazon, while the off-brand runs between $40-$60.

I scored mine new in the box at Goodwill for $9.99! :D I don’t remember what brand it is, but it works like a charm, and I saved at least $30!

I’m excited about it! Cast iron Dutch ovens are new to me- I’ve never had one before. Do you have any recipes you like to cook in them? What else are they good for? {I’m thinking I might want to use it often!} Do tell! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment