Thursday, March 21, 2013

cheap dates, faux pedicures, and my new favorite diaper bag

Our house is feeling very strange this morning. And very, very quiet.

Here's what the back of the Tahoe looked like yesterday:
My mom has the kiddos at her place for a few days of their spring break, and I'm not sure what to do with myself! :) I have never been at home without kids for more than a few hours. Seriously. :)

About five minutes after we dropped them off, Rob asked "do you hear that?" and I looked at him and laughed and said, "silence? .... ooooh, it's okay, honey..." He was a little sad! {oh, I love how much he loves them.} I'm not the talker of the family {are you surprised? I still am}, so the silence doesn't bother me too much. :)

We came home, and I took a nap, then we went on a fun date last night... and in true thrifty Thursday fashion, I have to share this pic of our $5 piece of Italian Creme Cake:
And yes, that is an entire cake. :)

Here's a cheap frugal tip: if you hate spending $5 on a small piece of freezer-burned cake at a fancy bistros like we do, head to the nearest grocery store bakery and eat all the fresh cake you want for the same price... :)

Now that's what I'm talking about. That man knows how to speak my love language. {And see how the cake is turned toward me? He's the perfect husband, I tell you.}

With all my free time today, I was extremely tempted to go get my toenails painted now that it's getting harder to bend over in the front... ;) But even having no kids to worry about, for some reason I hated the idea of spending $15-$30 to get my toenails painted. I used to love going every now and then when the kids were little- it was so relaxing and totally worth the money to get away and have pretty nails. :)

But for the last year or so I haven't wanted to go spend the money, so I always end up doing it myself at the last minute and end up just as happy- especially after the kids step on my toes five minutes later! But I am definitely weird and like cutting my own hair too... :P

So I thought long and hard about it today, and ended up just doing a quick coat with one of my favorite colors- High Roller from Ulta:

And now I'm thinking about using the money I "saved" {ha!} to go to Goodwill and buy a whole outfit, and then go eat lunch? :) It's always crazy when you start putting spending money in GW terms... :P

Or I could just put it back in the bank after investing in this sweet little diaper bag. I found it at a secondhand store for half of what they're going for on eBay right now! :) I was so, so excited, and I loved the aqua color! :D

I'm hoping to use it until the baby doesn't need it anymore, then sell it for more than what I paid on eBay. :D Even if I don't make a profit, I'm thinking I'll at least get my money back from it. :)

Oh, and I wanted to tell you one more thing... the random $5 winner from Monday is:

Mary Poppins is one of my favorite movies. I saw it on Broadway this summer. It was incredible.

Kristen, please email me when you get the chance, and I'll send your cash over! :D

What's your favorite diaper bag brand? 
Petunia Pickle Bottom has constantly been my favorite because I can always resell them! :D

Do you have a frugal {and a little weird} date story too?
sshhh, don't tell.... for our 9th anniversary we watched Netflix at McDonald's in the Playland because it was better than the movies and there were no kids around... lol!

What do you do without kids at home?
Someone please tell me, I have no idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment