Tuesday, June 25, 2013

what to do when you feel the heavy lies of Satan :: taking our thoughts into captivity


I never really thought about the importance of that verse before a few weeks ago. I think I understood it, yet somehow in my mind, it had to do with having impure thoughts, or hateful words towards another person.

But lately it's taken on a whole new meaning for me.

I won't lie- pregnancy is not easy. I have wonderful pregnancies physically- I can't complain a bit, but I do feel that pregnancy changes your hormones and it's truly a trial for a woman.

It's been a battle from the beginning, and the struggle comes not only physically, but mentally.

Any time you're tired or exhausted, or battling hormones, or trials, or even just hard situations, I think the devil really loves to mess with you a little {or a lot} more. Our defenses are down a bit, so to speak, and we become easier targets, especially if we don't stay focused on the Lord.

And what's funny {or not so funny} is that we don't even realize what Satan is doing- he's sneaky, and he is trying to devour us like prey. He doesn't make himself obvious.

For me, Satan attacks my heart and mind through negative self-talk. When I'm tired, or sick, or feeling down, he loves to sneak up on me and plant thoughts in my head that completely contradict God's Word.

The other day I was feeling low- physically, I knew I was tired from a harder week, but I kept dwelling on these negative thoughts which made me feel worse mentally.

I cried out to God and told Him I was feeling low, and He answered in a way I didn't expect. {how does that keep happening???? He does it every time!}

That afternoon we went to the pool, and I felt the irresistible urge to bring my notebook along with me.

I was praying in my chair for a while, then I took out my pen and notebook and I just started writing. I wasn't even sure what I intended to write, but I started to make a list- a description of every single thing I was feeling right then. I was embarrassed and almost fought the urge to put it all out there on paper, honestly, because I knew so much of it wasn't okay or right, or even slightly true.

Here are a few of the feelings I wrote on my list:

Sad
Alone
Defeated
Impatient

Then after I added every single feeling that came to mind, I wrote this beside my list:

Sad
Alone
Defeated                        {what Satan wants for me to feel}
Impatient


Then I started making another list:

joyful
patient
thankful                          {what God wants for me}
happy
bearer of light

After I wrote this all out, I prayed and told God all of what was in my heart and on my list. I told Him, "Lord these are my burdens- these are what the enemy is telling me- please take them from me, and rebuke the devil, Lord God. Please keep him away from me. He tells me these lies, and I know this is not what you want for me Lord. I give you all these feelings- please take them from me."

I'd never done anything like this before- though I'd prayed and asked God for His help when I was feeling low many times, I'd never openly identified every single thing I was feeling {that was ugly and sinful} and consciously given it to the Lord.

I was shocked how it changed my heart- I just felt lighter, and the next day I realized what the Lord had done for me- He had taken my burdens and my negative thoughts and redeemed them, and brought to light the truth in my heart of what He wanted for me.

It hit me- the Lord was teaching me to take these sinful thoughts into captivity like He tells me to do in His Word:

We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, 2 Corinthians 10:5

I normally would push them down and pray a little, and try to tell myself the truth to negate them, but they never would fully go away, you know what I mean? I think I was trying to talk myself out of them with my own power more than God's.

I was feeling down, believing lies {about myself} from the enemy when they stood in direct contradiction to the Word of God, and I didn't realize to what extent the battle was even happening. I thought I was just feeling a little low!

When I brought every thought into the light- on paper- of God's Word and gave every one of these thoughts and feelings to Him in prayer- He took them from me, and made me realize that not only were they not right or true, they were coming from the enemy himself! Oh, that serpent is so subtle and crafty!

I just can't praise God enough- He is so very merciful to me. I am so thankful that He cares so much about me that I can tell Him anything and everything- and He makes my burdens light. He makes my heart and mind comprehend the truth instead of what Satan wants me to believe.

The Lord kept working through the rest of the next week too, bringing situations into my life that specifically showed me the lies were even further from the truth than I thought. I tell you, our GOD is living and so very GOOD and full of grace and mercy! :)

He wants us to live in the light of His Word- to walk in His truth, and defeat the power of sin through His Son, and He can do it, my friends. He WILL do it if you ask!!

If you're feeling defeated or low, or something is on your heart, I made the worksheet below for you if you want to use it. I was so amazed at what God did in my heart when I laid my burdens before Him in all of their ugliness. What I told Him came as no surprise to Him, and you won't surprise Him either.

Give light to your burdens- let His light shine on every part of your heart. Don't be afraid- God will fill those darknesses with His light:

For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Corinthians 4:6

And when you feel the heavy lies of Satan start to weigh on your heart, remember this:

Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 1 John 4:4

Our God has already overcome the evil one, my friend. Satan cannot defeat you.

Greater is He who is in you, than he who tells you lies.


 28Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30




How have you seen God redeem your negative thoughts? 

Do you ever find yourself writing them down? 


No comments:

Post a Comment